Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Trio of Hats


Over the holidays, I suddenly had a great idea. I needed to knit hats for all of the guys in my twin sister's life. These guys are her husband, two sons and her daughter's boyfriend. I had a few criteria for the pattern. One, it needed to knit up quickly. I made this decision to knit all of these hats in December. Late December. Two, I needed to be able to use something from my stash. I'm on a yarn diet. I'm really, really, REALLY trying to not buy yarn. I've made a few slips, but I've seriously cut back on my yarn spending which has been hard because I live near a very good LYS. Three, the hats needed to be manly.
I searched Ravelry and found the perfect pattern. It's called the Subtle Twist Hat by Jennifer Talleneni. I downloaded the pattern from Ravelry but you can also download it from her blog here.

Ta Da!!! I actually finished the three hats modeled here by my three little guys by the end of December and got them in the mail shortly thereafter.  The yarn I chose was Patons Shetland Chunky and Patons Shetland Chunky Tweeds.  This picture doesn't show the nice cable twist at the top of the hat very well.  There are better pictures on Jennifer's blog and on Ravelry.

I loved working on the hats.  It was simple ribbing all the way up.  The interesting part was doing the cables at the top.

If you want a quick simple hat that knits up quickly on chunky yarn, this is definitely the one.

If you are wondering what happened to hat number four.  Well, I did get a little tired of ribbing after three hats.  So, my sister's youngest son got a different hat.  That, however, is for another post.





No comments:

Post a Comment