Friday, January 1, 2010

I don't know what I'm waiting for...

Hi everyone and no one.

This is my first blog post.  I have no followers.  I have been trying to start this blog for over a year now.  I have failed at every attempt simply because I wasn't sure I had anything to say that anyone would want to read.  I still don't know that anyone will read this, but now I don't care if no one reads it.  I will be writing this for me regardless of who may or may not read my odd ramblings about sticks and yarn or the projects that might be made with them.

I write this now because I have failed to accomplish the one project that I wished to finish in 2009.  My husband's sweater that has been on the needles for twelve long years is still unfinished.

The yarn was purchased in a cute little shop in Malmo, Sweden.  The pattern was also purchased there.  Printed in Swedish.  The yarn is 100% wool Idun (which is now discontinued) in blue and tan.  It has a simple (at least I thought it was when I bought it) fair isle pattern across of the chest of snowflakes.  For some reason, I knit through the back in nothing flat with few if any problems.  The front was another matter.  I knit and ripped and knit and ripped and then relegated it to the back of the knitting closet.

In the meantime, I had three lovely (read weird) boys whom I cherish most of the time.  Now that these strange little creatures are growing up, I decided to finish this sweater for which my husband has been waiting patiently that is when he isn't mentioning impatiently what ever happened to that sweater I was knitting him.

So, in 2009, I swore that he would have it by his birthday.  Sadly, that came and went.  So, I swore that he would have it by Christmas.  Sadly, that has now come and gone.  Now the year is 2010 and I have the back and front finished and two sleeves mostly done.


I SWEAR BY MY NEXT BLOG POST THAT THIS SWEATER WILL BE FINISHED!!!!

So, there.   I have now gotten over the blogging hump.  My first blog post is posted.  Everyone (probably no one) now knows what a knitting schmuck I am.

Next time I post, I swear to have pictures of a completed sweater.  I have no idea if it will fit, but it will be finished.  Did I mention the pattern was written in Swedish?  I don't speak Swedish.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Cathy,

    I, too, have too many unfinished knitting and sewing projects. It gives great satisfaction when I manage to finish an old project (especially socks, because they're pretty much guaranteed to still fit!).

    Your comment about not speaking Swedish brings back to memory a funny experience from about 20-couple years ago.

    My sister-in-law, Linda was married to a Danish man, Hans. He had not been back home to Denmark since he left at age 19, and was in his mid-fifties when this story took place. Linda had corresponded with Hans' brother, Eric, and received news that Eric and his wife, Iris, would be coming to the States to visit.

    I tagged along to the airport to greet them, and we went directly to a restaurant for dinner. The conversaion method was 'interesting' as Linda and I spoke only English, Hans spoke his 'version' of English and what he could remember of Danish, Eric spoke Danish and Swedish, and Iris spoke only Swedish (but had a Swedish-to-English Diction ary!) Every conversation went around the table in one direction, and the response traveled back in the other direction. It was a hoot! It brings back warm memories.

    But I still can't help you with your Swedish knitting pattern!

    Best to you,
    Becky in PA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy,
    I found your link on SFS and thought I'd check it out. It's comforting to know I'm not the only one with UFO's! You're WAY farther along than I am... I have TONS of yarn, SCADS of patterns, but I'm afraid to start the projects!!
    I do pat myself on the back, I made a vest for hubby this past year and a pair of socks. My resolution is to use my "old" yarn before I buy any more (except for SFS of course!I don't keep OD or black laying around!)
    Thanks for sharing, it was refreshing, real and honest!
    - Julie A, CO

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have lots of UFO's but you got me beat, none are in Swedish! And I can't wait to hear that the sweater is done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy, if nothing else, you may have a support group for all of us who start strong but haven't finished yet! I love combing the net for free patterns, must have thousands of patterns, I want to make ALL of them.... OCD AT IT'S FINEST! Keep writing and sharing, I will keep reading... by the way, do you have any patterns? : ) Michele

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and I must have been sisters in another life! My blog, started - oh, I'd say over a year ago - has stagnated for several months (probably more) and I have a UFO that is 17 years old - but at least the pattern is in English! My paternal grandparents were Swedish and Danish, but that's as close as I come.....
    depending on your progress, you may just inspire (or shame) me into getting back to the blog!!

    All good luck to you!!

    Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't worry if no one reads your blog...it's just for your own satisfaction. And who knows, you may have lots to say that others will find interesting!

    ReplyDelete